...2. Notwithstanding any other provision of this chapter, the taking, importation, transportation, possession or sale of any endangered or threatened species of fish, shellfish, crustacea or wildlife, or hides or other parts thereof, or the sale or possession with intent to sell any article made in whole or in part from the skin, hide or other parts of any endangered or threatened species of fish, shellfish, crustacea or wildlife is prohibited, except under license or permit from the department.
3. Notwithstanding any other provision of this chapter, the department may promulgate regulations to the taking, importation, transportation, possession or sale of any species of special concern as the department deems necessary for the proper protection of such species.
Citation: McKinney's ECL § 11-0535.
...4. Notwithstanding the provisions of article six of the public officers law or any other provision of law, the department may deny access to inspection of records, data or information collected or maintained by the New York natural heritage program that identify locations or habitats of rare, threatened or endangered species or ecological communities where the destruction of such habitat or the removal of such species therefrom would impair their ability to survive, provided, however, that the commissioner may permit access to such records, data or information to persons, educators, schools or universities engaged in legitimate scientific and academic research.
5. No provision contained in this section shall in any way be construed to diminish or extend the department's authority to protect threatened or endangered species of wildlife or rare, threatened or endangered species of plants pursuant to sections 9-1503, 11-0535 and 11-0536 of this chapter or any other provision of law.
Citation: McKinney's ECL § 11-0539.
...3. No person shall, in any area designated by such list or lists, knowingly pick, pluck, sever, remove, damage by the application of herbicides or defoliants or carry away, without the consent of the owner thereof, any protected plant...
4. The department is authorized to regulate the harvesting, collection, sale, and exportation of American ginseng (Panax quinquefolius) plants, roots and cuttings. The department is further authorized to promulgate rules and regulations to implement the authority conferred herein...
Citation: McKinney's ECL § 9-1503.
1. Except as provided in subdivision three hereof, no part of the skin or body, whether raw or manufactured, of the following species of wild animals or the animal itself may be sold or offered for sale by any individual, firm, corporation, association or partnership within the state of New York :--Leopard (Panthera pardus), Snow Leopard (Uuncia), Clouded Leopard (Neofelis nebulosa), Tiger (Panthera tigres), Asiatic Lion (Panthera leo persica), Cheetah (Acinoyx jubatus), Alligators, Caiman or Crocodile of the Order Crocodylia (except as provided in subdivision two of this section), tortoises of the genus Gopherus, marine turtles of the family Cheloniidae and the family Dermochelidae, Vicuna (Vicugna vicugna), Wolf (Canis lupus), Red Wolf (Canis niger), or Tasmanian Forester Kangaroo (Macropus giganteus tasmaniensis) or Polar Bear (Thalarctos maritimus), Mountain Lion, sometimes called Cougar (Felis Concolar), Jaguar (Panthera onca), Ocelot (Felis pardalis), or Margay (Felis wiedii), Sumatran Rhinoceros (Dicerorhinus sumatrensis), or Black Rhinoceros (Dicero bicornis)...
Citation: McKinney's ECL § 11-0536.
The commissioner may require every major facility which engages in the transfer of petroleum to file with the department a habitat protection plan as a condition of issuance of a license pursuant to section one hundred seventy-four of this article. Such plan shall provide protection from the potential adverse impact of any discharge on the habitat of threatened or endangered species and the mitigation of potential damage to wetlands in reasonable proximity to the facility. Such plan shall contain provisions for the rehabilitation of animals damaged by the discharge of petroleum.
Citation: McKinney's Navigation Law § 177-b.
In addition to the powers, functions and duties provided for in section 3.09, the commissioner shall:
1. Conduct scientific and environmental studies to determine the selection of state parks, parkways, historic sites or recreational facilities that shall be designated park preserves as well as portions of parks that shall be designated park preservation areas.
2....provide for the management of all unique, rare, threatened or endangered species of flora and fauna within designated park preserves and park preservation areas....
Citation: McKinney's PRHPL § 20.02.