There is hereby established within the Inland Fisheries and Game Fund, a wildland acquisition account which shall be credited monies received from the sale of wildland conservation stamps, the portion of the fees for sporting, fishing, trapping and hunting licenses to be credited under the provisions of section 2C, contributions thereto and any grant monies from the federal government or other public and private sources. Said account, subject to appropriation, shall be used only for the purchase of land containing wildlife habitat and for costs directly related to the administration of the wildlands stamp program. The director may contract with the seller of wildlands for installment payments provided that the total of all such installment payments does not exceed seventy–five percent of the previous year’s income to the wildlands acquisition account. Acquisition of all lands so purchased shall be made with the advice and consent of the fisheries and wildlife board. All such lands shall be acquired exclusively for protection and management of wildlife habitat and shall be available for fishing, trapping, and hunting.
Citation: M.G.L.A. ch. 131, § 2a.
The state treasurer shall receive and deposit all revenues transmitted to him under provisions of sections 2A and 2C in such a manner that will ensure the highest rate of interest available consistent with the safety of the Inland Fisheries and Game Fund, and all interest accrued shall be deposited into the Inland Fisheries and Game Fund.
Citation: M.G.L.A. ch. 131, § 2b.
Monies received by the commonwealth from license fees, permit fees and from any and all sources pertaining to inland fishing, hunting and trapping from permit fees under section 22A, from any sale authorized in section 6 and sums received by the commonwealth from the federal government as reimbursement, grants in aid or other receipts on account of activities of the division, shall be credited on the books of the commonwealth to a fund to be known as the Inland Fisheries and Game Fund except that sums received for natural heritage and endangered species programs shall be credited to the Natural Heritage and Endangered Species Fund, established in section 35D of chapter 10; provided, however, that $1 from the sale of each sporting, fishing, trapping and hunting license shall be credited to the wildland acquisition account established in section 2A. All unexpended balances remaining in the Inland Fisheries and Game Fund at the end of each fiscal year shall be appropriated only for the purposes of developing, maintaining, managing, operating and administering the division of fisheries and wildlife. The fund, subject to appropriation, shall be used only as follows:—
(1) for the payment of general administrative expenses of the division;
(2) for acquiring, maintaining or leasing public fishing rights on land, on inland streams and ponds, including stream management and the creation of new ponds;
(3) for acquiring, maintaining or leasing public hunting rights on land;
(4) for biological surveys of inland waters;
(5) for propagation of game birds and fish;
(6) for salvaging and distributing game birds and fish;
(7) for acquisition and maintenance of wildlife sanctuaries and fish and wildlife management areas;
(8) for maintaining water resources to provide an adequate water supply for wildlife;
(9) for maintaining sources of food for game birds;
(10) for payment not to exceed 50 per cent of the amount necessary for personal services and other expenses for and on account of the enforcement of laws relating directly to inland fisheries and game, such amounts to be determined by the commissioner of administration;
(11) for the acquisition, by purchase, lease, easement or license, of land or interests therein critical to nongame wildlife and endangered species for the multiple purposes of protecting and enhancing nongame wildlife and encouraging compatible wildlife uses;
(12) for the management, inventory, preservation, protection, perpetuation, and enhancement of nongame wildlife and endangered species in the commonwealth;
(13) for supplementing funds provided to the natural heritage and endangered species program for the purpose of aiding in the protection of rare, threatened and endangered species in the commonwealth; and
(14) for other general purposes of the division.
Citation: M.G.L.A. ch. 131, § 2c.